federal workers' compensation article image
Since workers' compensation is a state-run program, Federal workers' compensation claims have a unique process. See what you need to do to get approved.

Injuries Covered by Federal Workers’ Compensation

Filing a claim for federal workers’ compensation is unlike filing a claim through the state. There’s a unique process that must be followed in order to adequately submit your claim to the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). Before you begin, it’s important to know if your injury fits the mold.

Federal Workers’ Compensation for a Traumatic Injury

You slip and fall on the job. You didn’t foresee this injury, and it occurred unexpectedly while you were performing your usual duties. This is an example of a traumatic injury. To sum it up, it’s a one-time event that results in unexpected consequence. When these types of injuries happen, the federal workers’ compensation program is prepared to provide assistance.

If you suffer from a traumatic injury, it’s important that you file a CA-1 form within 30 days from the date you were injured. The CA-1 form can serve as a claim for the continuation of pay (COP). According to the U.S. Department of Labor, COP can provide an injured employee with their regular salary for up to 45 days following their traumatic injury. Don’t forget, when you file your CA-1 claim with your employer you should obtain a receipt of the Notice of Injury. This receipt is located on the CA-1 form and your supervisor simply has to fill it out and return it to you. Once you receive it, be sure file it somewhere safe so that you can refer back to it if needed.

Federal Workers’ Compensation for Occupational Disease or Illness

Like a traumatic injury, if you contract a disease or illness on the job, you may be able to file a federal workers’ compensation claim. As expressed by the U.S. Department of Labor, the disease or illness must have formed over a period of time and over the course of more than one shift. Often times this is related to exposure to certain toxins or chemicals.

If you’re looking to file a claim for an occupational disease or illness, you should fill out and submit a CA-2 form. When submitting this form be prepared to provide medical documentation and a detailed statement of your job requirements. Having both of these can be crucial to your claim and prove it’s valid. It’s suggested that applicants take a look at form CA-35, which provides a checklist of required evidence. Unfortunately, unlike traumatic injury, COP is not an option for individuals who are suffering from an occupational disease or illness.

You May Qualify for Legal Assistance

If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the federal workers’ compensation process, know you’re not alone. Many people feel just like you and have found that turning to a worker’s compensation attorney can help in alleviating stress. An attorney can do many things such as filing, collecting, and representing your claim. They can also help you gather medical records and documentation which is vital to the legitimacy of your injury or illness.

If your ready to connect to an attorney in your area simply click the button below to get started.

Get Your Free Benefits Evaluation