federal workers' comp

4 Things to Know About Federal Workers’ Comp Benefits

When you’re hurt at work, your first thought isn’t always about your injury; it’s often about finances. How are you going to pay bills? What’s going to happen to your job? If you make a federal workers’ comp claim, will your boss get mad? How do you even make a claim? It’s a stressful time, but don’t worry—laws are in place to protect both you and your employer, so the only thing you have to worry about is getting better.

Before you begin the process of making a federal workers’ comp claim, here are a few things you should know about the program.

How to Get Your Federal Workers’ Comp Claim Started

The federal workers’ comp benefits program doesn’t follow all the same rules and processes as normal state-run workers’ comp programs. Instead of filing through your state,  the United States Department of Labor and the Division of Federal Employees’ Compensation (DFEC) are in charge of managing claims from federal employees.

Before you apply you should have a good understanding of what paperwork will be required to begin the process. This will help you stay on track and ensure all the initial paperwork is taken care of.

#1 – If You’ve Suffered From a Work-Related Illness Then File Form CA-2

If you’ve suffered from a work-related illness you should fill out a “Notice of Occupational Disease and Claim for Compensation” also known as form CA-2.

#2 – If You’ve Suffered a Work-Related Injury Then File Form CA-1

If you have sustained a work-related injury, you should be prepared to file form CA-1,“Federal Employee’s Notice of Traumatic Injury and Claim for Continuation of Pay/Compensation.”

These documents should be submitted in a timely manner to the appropriate division handling your claim.

#3 – Eligible Employees Who May File a Federal Workers’ Comp Claim

Federal workers’ comp benefits are not available to all federal employees. Certain departments have their own compensation programs that have been established due to the nature of work. Employees who hold these jobs must file through their designated workers’ compensation fund. The following jobs fall into this category:

  • Railroad workers
  • Harbor workers
  • Energy employees
  • Miners who suffered from black lung
  • Employees contracted by the government (must apply through the state)

If you are a federal worker who has one of these occupations, you can find more resources about how to apply on this page of the U.S. Department of Labor website. All other federal employees who have been injured or has sustained an illness while on the job may apply for compensation benefits through the governmental program.

#4 – What Federal Workers’ Comp Benefits are Available?

Many injured employees worry about making ends meet while managing their medical issues. This makes federal workers’ comp coverage one of the most crucial elements of the process. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, federal workers who are approved for benefits may be compensated for the following:

  • Medical expenses
  • Wage replacement
  • Vocational training
  • Other benefits

Securing Legal Assistance To File Your Federal Workers’ Comp Claim

All workers’ compensation applications have the right to secure legal aid when applying for benefits. Many people find this type of assistance will come in handy when they have a complicated claim or after they receive an unfavorable decision.

Ready to see if you may qualify to file your workers’ comp claim with one of our experienced attorneys? Click the button below now to start your free federal workers’ comp benefits evaluation.

Get Your Free Benefits Evaluation