Let’s review the November 2022 veterans disability benefits statistics report from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). This statistical snapshot shows all unreviewed VA disability, pension, and survivor’s claims waiting on VA ratings or approval. Below, we’ll explain the VA’s newest reported numbers may impact veterans applying for benefits this time of year.
November 2022 Veterans Disability Benefits Statistics: Claims Inventory Status
The November 2022 veterans disability benefits report shows all pending claims currently waiting on the VA’s determination decision. As of November 5th, there were more than 667,000 outstanding benefit applications listed in the VA’s claims inventory:
- As of November 5, 2022: 667,189
- As of October 1, 2022: 645,854
- Difference: +21,335
- Daily churn: +1,067 claims
Today, it takes about 4 months (on average) for the VA to review each individual claim. The FY2022 financial report shows the VA asked Congress to approve $37 million in additional funding for 2023. If approved, the VA will use that money to hire and train another 319 full-time employees to process disability claims.
VA projections for FY2023 show how new presumptive disability conditions may affect veterans in the coming year:
- 1.6 million VA disability claims expected in 2023
- 207 days pending/170 to complete those new claims, on average
- 3 new Gulf War presumptive conditions: rhinitis, sinusitis, and asthma
- 3 new Agent Orange presumptive conditions: Parkinson’s, bladder cancer, and hypothyroidism
November 2022 Veterans Disability Benefits Statistics: Claims Backlog Status
Backlogged applications in the November 2022 veterans disability benefits report refer to any outstanding claims more than 125 days old. Since the VA hired and trained 2,000 new claim processors this year, the backlog’s stayed relatively stable. In fact, backlogged claims fell by nearly 4,000 applications since October’s report came out:
- As of November 5, 2022: 143,732
- As of October 1, 2022: 147,693
- Difference: -3,961
- Daily churn: -198 claims cleared from the backlog
Interestingly, this month’s backlog holds 115,414 fewer claims compared to November 2021. The November 2022 veterans disability benefits report shows a 45% YoY reduction in backlogged claims. This is because the VA added more full-time staff just to review disability claims.
You May Qualify for Legal Assistance
The VA gives just 89% of claims the correct rating every year. Veterans in the other 11% either get denied benefits by mistake or paid the wrong amount every month. The VA-accredited attorneys in our network can fight to get you the most benefit money you deserve!
Want a local advocate to evaluate your claim for free, then tell you how much the VA really owes you? This service always costs you $0. What’s more, it takes just a few minutes and a free phone call to complete. You pay nothing for legal assistance unless an attorney helps you win. And if you do win, then you’ll only pay a small, one-time fee.
Don’t settle for less than you deserve. Ready to see if you may qualify? Click the button below now to get started:
Get Your Free Benefits Evaluation
Lori Polemenakos is Director of Consumer Content and SEO strategist for LeadingResponse, a legal marketing company. An award-winning journalist, writer and editor based in Dallas, Texas, she's produced articles for major brands such as Match.com, Yahoo!, MSN, AOL, Xfinity, Mail.com, and edited several published books. Since 2016, she's published hundreds of articles about Social Security disability, workers' compensation, veterans' benefits, personal injury, mass tort, auto accident claims, bankruptcy, employment law and other related legal issues.