How to File a Federal Workers’ Compensation Claim

federal workers' compensation claim

Government employees who have sustained an injury or illness while on the job may be eligible to receive federal workers’ compensation benefits. The United States Department of Labor oversees federal compensation and the Division of Federal Employees’ Compensation (DFEC) will be in charge of handling new and ongoing claims.

How to File Your Federal Workers’ Compensation Claim

Employees who file a federal workers’ compensation claim will be required to fill out the appropriate paperwork associated with their specific injury. For example, individuals who have developed a work-related disease will be required to file form CA-2 “Notice of Occupational Disease and Claim for Compensation” and those who’ve obtained a traumatic injury while on the job will need to file form CA-1 “Federal Employee’s Notice of Traumatic Injury and Claim for Continuation of Pay/Compensation.”

Once a supervisor has filled out their portion of the document they will then send it to the district office where an investigation of the claim will begin. They will notify the claimant if the investigator decides they need further evidence.

Receiving Your Federal Workers’ Compensation Benefits After Claim Approval

Employees eligible for federal workers’ compensation benefits may be able to receive benefits while they recover from their injuries. Once approved, the government disburses your federal workers’ compensation benefits according to your marital status as follows:

  • Married with one or more dependent, you will receive three-fourths of your regular wage
  • If you are single with no dependents, you will receive two-thirds of your regular wage

It’s important to note that employees with an approved federal workers’ compensation claim for a traumatic injury may receive “continuation of pay.” This means they can get up to 45 days of full pay from the day their disability started.

You May Qualify for Legal Assistance

If your federal workers’ compensation claim gets denied, don’t give up. There is an appeals process you must follow in order to petition your claim and get the benefits you need. Once the appeals process begins, it’s very valuable to have qualified legal assistance on your side. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney understands the appeals process and can guide you every step of the way. It’s easy to find an experienced disability attorney or advocate in your area.

Ready to see if you may qualify? Click the button below to start your free online benefits evaluation now!

Get Your Free Benefits Evaluation