Let’s review the February 2022 veterans disability benefits statistics report from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). This monthly snapshot shows all VA disability, pension, and survivor’s claims that need a ratings or approval decision. Learn how the latest numbers may impact veterans, along with any other notable changes during the last 30 days below.
February 2022 Veterans Disability Benefits Statistics: Claims Inventory Status
The February 2022 veterans disability benefits statistics report shows all VA claims not yet rated or processed for payments. On February 5, we saw at least 615,000 claims sitting in the VA’s inventory category:
- As of February 5, 2022: 615,830
- As of January 1, 2022: 625,932
- Difference: -10,102
- Daily churn: -505 claims
Once more, the VA reduced the total number of outstanding claims for veterans’ benefits during the last 30 days. This is a huge improvement, but this month’s numbers are still sky-high compared to last year’s report. So, if you file a VA benefits claim today, how long will you wait to hear back? Here’s the current wait time estimate, depending on how you file:
- 108.4 days for fully developed claims (FDC) you file either by mail or electronically through the VA’s eBenefits website
- 133 days for claims you file either through your local VA office, non-profit veterans’ organization, or a VA-accredited advocate
February 2022 Veterans Disability Benefits Statistics: Claims Backlog Status
After 125 days, the VA moves any claims still waiting on a ratings or approval decision into its backlog category. For the second month in a row, February’s report shows fewer backlogged claims compared to the previous 30-day period:
- As of February 5, 2022: 259,296
- As of January 1, 2022: 260,869
- Difference: -1,573
- Daily churn: -79 claims cleared from the backlog
While the backlog barely shrank during this 30-day period, at least it didn’t grow larger. These claims from veterans make up this month’s claims backlog:
- 31% are Agent Orange-related claims from service members and dependents
- 30% are supplemental claims for unrated new conditions or requests for higher VA disability ratings
- 25% areinitial VA disability claims listing no more than 7 unrated conditions
- 12% are Decision Review Requests for AMA supplemental claims
- 9% are initial VA disability claims with at least 8 unrated conditions
- 2% are requests for future disability exams to reevaluate existing conditions
- 1.5% are survivor’s benefit claims from eligible dependents
You May Qualify for Legal Assistance
Since 2014, the VA awarded 1 in 10 veterans the wrong rating or mistakenly denied them benefits each year. A VA-accredited lawyer can help you secure the maximum monthly benefit you deserve with no out-of-pocket legal fees. Every lawyer in our network offers free, no-obligation claim reviews and gives legal advice by phone. Sign up for a free phone call below and we’ll have someone reach out to answer your claim questions today.
You always pay $0 for legal assistance until after the VA awards you a cash settlement. And if you do win, then you’ll only pay a small, one-time fee.
Ready to see if you may qualify? Click the button below to start your free online benefits evaluation now!