Let’s review the June 2022 veterans disability benefits statistics report from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). This monthly snapshot shows all pending VA disability, pension, and survivor’s claims requesting disability ratings or payment approvals. We’ll explain below how this month’s updated numbers may impact veterans who recently applied for VA benefits.
June 2022 Veterans Disability Benefits Statistics: Claims Inventory Status
Any claims that need VA disability ratings or payment approval appear in the June 2022 veterans disability benefits statistics report. The June 4 report listed a little less than 598,000 outstanding VA claims in this month’s inventory:
- As of June 4, 2022: 597,694
- As of May 7, 2022: 603,993
- Difference: -6,299
- Daily churn: -315 claims
Right now, it takes anywhere from 117-142 days for the VA to process each new claim requesting benefits.
However, the VA’s average claim-processing time varies depending on which benefits each veteran applies for. Here’s the average claim-processing time for VA benefits by application type so far in 2022:
- 144 days to process applications for VA disability compensation, dependent or survivor’s benefits
- 86 days to process claims for VA pension benefits
- 76 days to process applications for benefits filed 90-180 days prior to separation from military service
- 44 days to process QuickStart claims filed 1-59 days prior to the service member’s separation, release from military duty or retirement
June 2022 Veterans Disability Benefits Statistics: Claims Backlog Status
Backlogged claims include any applications for benefits pending the VA’s determination decision more than 125 days from their filing date. The VA cleared more than 1,000 backlogged claims every day since May’s report came out:
- As of June 4, 2022: 193,795
- As of May 7, 2022: 215,196
- Difference: -21,401
- Daily churn: -1,070 claims cleared from the backlog
About 1 in 3 veterans’ claims moved into the backlog for June (32.4%). Here’s how those 193,795 oldest pending applications break down by VA claim type:
- 21% are Agent Orange-related claims from either Vietnam vets or their families
- 36% are supplemental claims requesting a higher VA rating or benefits for newly diagnosed, service-connected disabilities
- 16% are initial VA disability claims listing no more than 7 unrated service-connected illnesses or injuries
- 10% are initial VA disability claims that list at least 8 different unrated service-connected illnesses or injuries
- 14% are decision review requests on previously filed AMA supplemental claims
- 2% are initial claims for survivor’s benefits from children, parents, and spouses of deceased veterans
- 1% are initial claims for veterans’ pension benefits
You May Qualify for Legal Assistance
Are you among the 1 in 10 veterans wrongly denied VA benefits — or paid the wrong monthly amount each year? Let us connect you with a local VA-accredited lawyer to review your claim paperwork free of charge. You can sign up for a free phone call below and get legal advice without ever leaving your house!
You always pay $0 for legal assistance unless the VA awards you a cash settlement. And if a lawyer helps you successfully appeal, then federal law requires the VA to pay all your legal fees.
Ready to see if you may qualify? Click the button below to start your free online benefits evaluation now!
Get Your Free Benefits Evaluation
Lori Polemenakos is Director of Consumer Content and SEO strategist for LeadingResponse, a legal marketing company. An award-winning journalist, writer and editor based in Dallas, Texas, she's produced articles for major brands such as Match.com, Yahoo!, MSN, AOL, Xfinity, Mail.com, and edited several published books. Since 2016, she's published hundreds of articles about Social Security disability, workers' compensation, veterans' benefits, personal injury, mass tort, auto accident claims, bankruptcy, employment law and other related legal issues.